Sunday 28 June 2009

Philosophical musings


It took me a while, on the Oxford canal, to realize that the trip was different from a holiday. Usually when you are on holiday you have an agenda to follow - places to get to, things to see, things to do - that keeps you busy each day.

But when you really have no time constraint things are very different. When you get up in the morning (I like doing than but I know that others don't) you really don't have to go to the next village today. You could do it tomorrow, or the day after, or next week.

So then what do you do with your time? I think the answer is to distinguish between trip days and other days. What would you be doing if you were not on a trip? Well, do those things on the other days.

This is not as simple as it sounds. It is easy to be distracted by your strange surroundings, which look like holiday but have to be treated as home. And, of course, you may have forgotten to bring some essential item that you cannot easily get within walking distance of Allen's Lock. (I haven't got a bicycle yet, but even that is not ideal for collecting large sheets of plywood - especially if it is windy.)

The cat was in the Severn Valley Railway station at Kidderminster - making sure the visitors did not make off with one of the exhibits. (I went to Kidderminster by car, but it is on a canal, I believe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment