Friday 17 July 2009

Kingswood Junction


This junction is where the Grand Union canal meets the Stratford-on-Avon canal. It was raining when I took the photo.

I am on my way towards Chester - though plans might change.

On Wednesday there were 23 locks over a distance of about 4 miles and when I leave here there will be about 20 more. So I am taking a break!

The photo was taken through a railway bridge. The trains are only about a boat length away, and sound like they are coming in the front door. The freight trains sound especially good. First there is a high pitched musical shhhh from the rails. And if you have heard swans flying, imagine large dragons. That's what each container sounds like as it roars past at 70 mph, making the boat shake at 4 am. In the old days of steam engines there would also have been fire.

Just past Warwick I saw three alpaccas in a field behind a house. I'd never seen alpaccas before. They look like live pipecleaners.

No comments:

Post a Comment